Saturday, September 21, 2013

Language

The human brain amazes me. How, we as humans, as little kids even, are able to learn language. How the brain is able to make since of this crazy gibberish, called English or Swedish or even Arabic, coming out of somebody's mouth, and in turn make that same gibberish come out of our mouth as well. Like, that's insane! And I am now just realizing that, because well, I guess my brain is doing the same thing. It's insane how that works, how even though I've only been in Sweden for a month and a half, and I am able to order at restaurants, buy clothes, check out at the grocery store, and even somewhat understand my teachers (with the exception of physics, but I'm not sure I would understand that class in English either so...;)) I just don't think there is any good way to express this matter over text, expect for to say how much this whole language thing astoundes me. And those who have heard me discuss this matter know how weird I find it. 

The other thing that totally wigs me out is how, not only with Swedish, but with any given language, that it is the respective person's English. That that is the way they think, and dream. They don't spend time translating everything into English and then understand. They just hear it and understand it, I mean I know that's how English is with me, but it's just so weird. I must sound like a crazy person right now, but it's true, I just cannot fathom these ideas in my brain. At. All. 

Anyways, I was also thinking about how we as humans are creatures of habit. And I myself am oh so very much a creature of habit. Take right now for instance, I am sitting in the café that I go to pretty regularly, sitting in the exact same place that I have always sat in with the same exact music blaring in my ears. But, that comforts me, how the situation around a person can change so drastically, but the person doesn't seem to change all that much. How, even though I am 4,000 miles away from home, I am still the same person. My music tastes haven't changed, my "sense of humor" hasn't changed, and even the way I learn and keep notes hasn't changed. I might've acquired some new habits, like drinking coffee and milk (I know, weird right?!), eating boiled potatoes, and dressing a little nicer. But, should we really call those type of things changes or evolutions? Do humans ever really change, or do they just evolve? And I know, I know, every scientist will say, "you yourself are not evolving, you are the result of it," but this is on an emotional level. Even if those "changes" are for the worse, you are still evolving from your former self. (Wow, am I babbling, or what?!) 

And so, I continue to evolve, and adapt to my surroundings.  

No comments:

Post a Comment